Kids often say that eating a chocolate bar won’t hurt; this is true only with proper oral hygiene. Whatever we eat affects our teeth and gums, sugary treats trigger bacteria’s growth, but with regular brushing and flossing, we can control its spread. Besides, if we do not pay attention, we have to deal with oral infection and diseases. A root canal treatment saves the tooth and restores its strength. However, for many, it is not a comfortable procedure, and people try to avoid it. Due to modern-day medicines and methods, the root canal procedure is safe, and sedations make it comforting and pain-free. Can you eat after a root canal and what to eat? Check out the guidelines here to know about it?
What happens during the root canal procedure?
Once the bacteria spread and infect the gums and teeth, the infection causes swelling and gums’ redness. The person starts having sensitivity and toothache, and it also affects the facial features. Eventually, tooth discoloration results spoiling one’s smile and confidence to speak in between the crowd. Hence, it is time for scheduling your dental appointment. Root canal treatment saves a natural tooth by preventing the spread of infection and treating the tooth. The treatment starts by removing the tooth’s infected pulp, and then the rest of the part is first cleaned carefully and then disinfected so that there is no chance for further damage. Finally, the tooth gets a filling and seal. For the next few days, it is necessary to take a few precautions while eating and drinking.
What should you eat after a root canal?
As the tooth has gone under wear and tear, handle it carefully for a few days. Have soft food that does not require much biting and crunching; besides, crunchy items can damage the seal and fill in the tooth. Few soft foods that are healthy and good for gums and teeth are;
- In breakfast, a bowl of oatmeal with milk or pancake scrambled eggs or omelet will keep you fit for the rest of the day.
- Pureed or soft veggies or lukewarm soup with soft bread
- Soft fruits like banana, mango, and avocado can be a great choice
- Noodle, macaroni, and pasta with cheese are good enough to fill your appetite when you are starving.
- Fruit smoothies, pudding, shakes, Yogurt, plain ice cream, and other similar items, but remember to brush properly after having it.
What should I avoid after a root canal?
Sticky and hard food is a big no after the root canal. They will not only stick in the gaps but may crack the seal and fillings. Furthermore, avoid too hot beverages as the remaining nerves are sensitive and tender after the treatment. Few items to prevent after the root canal treatment include;
- Gums and candies that are sticky and hard
- Crunching ice cubes
- Avoid having nuts
- Do not drink hot soup, coffee, or tea; instead, have it at mild temperatures.
- Crunchy veggies like carrots and corn
- Alcohol can increase bleeding; do not drink it for a few days.
- Can you eat after a root canal? Want to know more about root canals, contact Porter Smiles Dental. Our latest dental technology provides stress-free tooth repairs. Call us at 281 519 7200 to schedule your appointment.