Nowadays, dental veneers are a popular choice among many adults for correcting minor dental flaws and achieving a perfect smile. They are thin, tooth-colored laminates that cover the external surfaces of your teeth. The process of getting dental veneers at our dental clinic requires two dental visits. These appointments are scheduled after your initial consultation with our dentists, in which we determine the overall status of your teeth and gums. Generally, the entire procedure takes approximately two weeks, after which you’ll be ready to walk back home with a dazzling new smile!
Timeline of Dental Veneers
During your first dental visit, our dentists will discuss your cosmetic concerns to understand your goals. We will perform a general oral examination to evaluate the health of your teeth, gums, and jawbone. If tooth decay, gum infection, or any other dental issue is present, we will recommend appropriate treatment measures. Ideally, getting these issues fixed before getting dental veneers is better. If your oral cavity is in good condition, we will proceed with tooth preparation for dental veneers.
In this appointment, our dentists will prepare your teeth for veneer placement. It is a minimally invasive process in which we will remove a thin layer of your tooth enamel equivalent to the thickness of dental veneers. It is a painless, comfortable procedure that may take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the number of teeth that need preparation. Once complete, we will record impressions and send them to a laboratory where dental technicians will design your customized porcelain veneers. During the interval between this and your next appointment, we will provide temporary veneers to protect your teeth from sensitivity or damage.
After we receive the veneers from the dental lab, we will call you for a final visit to bond them to your teeth. Our dentist will use dental cement to fix the veneers on your prepared teeth permanently. We will ensure that they bond securely and align with your natural bite. If any adjustments are needed, we will perform them within the same appointment. Once we are done, you will notice a visible transformation in your smile!
Caring for Dental Veneers
Dental veneers can last for a long time with proper care and hygiene maintenance. Here are some instructions to follow for taking care of dental veneers:
- Limit the intake of pigmented foods and beverages such as coffee, wine, tomato sauce, etc., as they may leave temporary stains on veneers. If you eat or drink them, rinse your mouth afterward to clear such stains.
- Do not bite too harshly on any object, e.g., opening a bottle. Porcelain veneers are durable but may break if too much biting force is applied.
- Wear a mouthguard if you are into physical activities or sports to protect your dental veneers.
- Follow a regular oral care routine, including brushing and flossing, to maintain your veneers for a long time.
- If you have the habit of grinding your teeth, discuss it with our dentists during the initial consultation. Porcelain veneers may fracture under constant pressure.
Getting high-quality dental veneers at our practice is easy. Contact us at 281-519-7200 to schedule an appointment.