Everyone wants a bright smile, even with braces on. However, it is difficult for people with braces on, and it takes effort to keep up with dental cleaning with braces on. You must have thought, “how to whiten teeth with braces?” any remedy, any holy grail that works, but If you think about it, is whitening even possible?
Eatables are the main triggers for teeth staining. However, braces themselves are also a threat to white teeth. Regular brushing won’t work on stained teeth, and therefore we recommend using a whitening agent instead. The best part is that it is possible even without moving the braces.
This blog has several DIY options detailed for you. Have a look and try whichever suits best for you.
Do Braces Stain Your Teeth?
Dealing with braces is a tricky matter, and careful handling is required. Dietary care side by side is also essential for dental and overall health. Food that you eat has an impact on your teeth. Certain pigmented eatables and beverages like tea or coffee always leave their mark behind.
DIY Remedies for Teeth Whitening With Braces
Here are a few safe DIY options to whiten teeth with braces:
- Oil pulling method
- Use of baking soda
- Bleaching agent – hydrogen peroxide
More Methods to Whiten Teeth with Braces on
Home or DIY methods show the result in its due course time. These alternate methods are fast enough to whiten teeth with braces. However, they will show effect after more than one sitting.
Teeth whitening home-based kits are available; ask your dentist for one.
- Set up an appointment with the dentist for your custom-designed tray.
- The tray comprises of 10% solution of carbamide peroxide.
- Gently slide the tray over the upper and lower jaw and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Every dentist suggests a different duration. Some recommend 2 weeks; some feel that twice a day or even overnight is enough to whiten teeth effectively, even for people with braces on.
Paint-On Teeth Whitening Gel
Paint-on whitening gel does not require a prescription; it is available over the counter and is one of the easiest whitening methods.
- Ask for teeth whitening paint from a pharmacy.
- Apply the gel and leave them to harden, which takes around 20-30 minutes.
- Now, brush to remove the extra gel.
- Stay cautious while applying near the brackets.
Whitening Tooth Paste
Toothpaste is the simplest method to whiten teeth with braces on. These pastes contain bleaching agents like peroxide and baking soda to remove stains. This toothpaste does not interfere with braces and shows no effect on the cement used for setting the brackets.
Tips for Retaining Your White Teeth after Getting Braces
- Always select a good toothbrush for brushing. Mostly, electric ones are considered better in terms of plaque removal.
- Make sure you floss; the food particles fall in the dips and add up between teeth, and flossing effectively gets them out.
- Fluoride mouthwash helps in enamel remineralization and decreases the risk of cavities.
- Interproximal brush easily makes its way into small spaces like between the brackets and underwire, ensuring maximum cleaning.
If you are searching for teeth whitening options while having braces on, consult a dentist to understand the dos and don’ts. Let your vision of pearly whites become a reality. Get in touch with us at Porter Smiles Dental for an expert opinion. Call now at 281 519 7200 for more details.