Are you missing one or more teeth and considering replacing them with dental implants? Traditional dental implants are ideal for replacing missing or damaged teeth but require a strong bone foundation and several other factors to fulfill their candidacy.
If you have a thin bone or do not want to undergo the long process of traditional implant surgery, mini dental implants may be the best option for you.
Mini dental implants are an advanced measure that provide the benefits of conventional implants but have a less invasive and short procedure. We will discuss further details of mini dental implants, including their advantages and treatment process.
Understanding Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants are one of the latest modifications of dental implants. Compared to traditional dental implants, which have a 2-piece screw, mini dental implants have a thin, 1-piece screw that takes lesser effort to insert in the jawbone.
There is also a visible difference between the thickness of both implant types. Traditional dental implants are wider, having a diameter between 3.25 to 5mm.
In contrast, mini dental implants have a diameter of less than 3mm. They are a good option for people who do not have significant bone mass to retain traditional dental implants.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants are suitable for replacing one or more missing teeth, given that you do not have any serious dental or medical conditions. They offer many benefits, which include:
- The surgery for mini dental implants is less invasive and can be performed under local anesthesia.
- Due to their small size, they get inserted easily and take less recovery time than traditional dental implants.
- Mini dental implants are ideal for people who have a low jawbone density and do not wish to undergo the process of bone grafting.
- The process for mini dental implants requires a shorter time than traditional dental implants, which may take months.
- Although the cost of mini dental implants is variable, they are often more affordable than conventional implants.
- Mini dental implants provide efficient results without frequent dental visits.
- They offer a fixed and durable replacement for missing teeth to restore your functions and smile aesthetics.
Placement of Mini Dental Implants
Our dentists can place mini dental implants within a single visit. The surgery is less invasive and does not cause severe discomfort.
We will numb the treatment site first using local anesthesia. Next, we will drill a small-sized hole in your jawbone, almost equal to the thickness of a mini dental implant.
This step follows the placement of mini dental implants in the hole. We will tighten the implant post and attach it to the dental prosthesis (crown, bridge, or denture).
Mini dental implant surgery does not require suture placement. Once the process is complete, you are good to go home with a brand-new smile!
Recovery after Mini Dental Implants
Compared to traditional dental implants, which take months to heal, mini dental implants need less time to integrate with your bone. The recovery period is short; you can resume normal activities within a few days. However, it is important to follow post-op instructions to promote better healing.
Eat a soft diet for a few days and avoid consuming extremely hot or cold products. Avoid biting hard substances as it may dislodge the implant.
Our dentists will prescribe medications to reduce post-treatment symptoms such as slight pain, tenderness, or swelling. If any other complications develop, let us know immediately.
Visit Porter Smiles Dental to learn more about mini dental implants, or call us at 281 519 7200 to book an appointment.